I am reminded daily of the sacrifices made by the brave men and women who serve and protect our great nation, and it is of the utmost importance that I do everything I can to assist veterans and their families.
My office has constituent liaisons available to help on a number of issues, including cutting through the bureaucratic process of receiving benefits or applying to receive the service medals an individual earned while in the military. If you need assistance with or have any questions about any veteran's issue, feel free to contact my office.
For active duty service members, my office can assist with problems concerning transfers, pay, medical treatment, recruitment or discharge, or obtaining medals or records. For more information, check out my page military service members.
How can I get education benefits under the GI Bill?
You can learn more about GI bill benefits on the Veterans Affairs website.
How can I get medical benefits?
You can apply for high-quality, VA health benefits on the Veterans Affairs website.
How can I get information on suicide prevention?
If you or someone you know needs help, call the Veterans Crisis Hotline: 800-273-8255, option 1. This hotline is a tool for both current and former military members who need immediate mental health help.
How can I get a home loan?
For information on buying a home with a VA-backed loan, visit VA.gov
How do I file a claim for pension benefits?
Learn more about filing a claim for pension benefits on the Veterans Affairs website.
How can I get survivor benefits?
To learn more about filing a survivor benefit claim, visit the Veterans Affairs website. To file a claim for benefits as a surviving spouse, please complete VA Form 21-534EZ. You can submit the completed form to the VA by mail or in person at your local VA regional office.
How can I expedite a claim?
Claims can only be expedited if you have a financial hardship. Proof of financial hardship is required in the form of an eviction or foreclosure notice, or utility turn-off notice.
How do I get a copy of my military records?
You can request your military records by contacting:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138
How can I apply for a medal, award, or decoration that I earned while in the service?
You can request replacements for lost or stolen medals by calling my office at 512-246-1600.
Where is my local VA office?
Click here to find your local VA office
Where are the closest VA medical centers?
Where are the closest veteran centers?
How can I contact the Department of Veterans Affairs?
The VA has toll free numbers for the convenience of veterans and dependents:
- Benefits Information 1-800-827-1000
- Life Insurance 1-800-669-8477
- Debt Management 1-800-827-0648
- Mammography Hotline 1-888-492-7844
- Tele. Dev. for Deaf (TDD) 1-800-829-4833
- CHAMPVA 1-800-733-8387
- Headstones/Markers 1-800-697-6947
- Gulf War Helpline 1-800-749-8387
- Sexual Trauma Hotline 1-800-827-1000
- VA health care for Women Veterans
- Non-VA Care Issues
- VA Dental insurance Plan
- Veteran Choice Act
- How the VA interacts with your private insurance
- VA health care and the Affordable Care Act
- Military Sexual Trauma (MST) Veterans
- Veterans COVID-19 FAQs
- Veterans Choice Program: as part of our effort to educate Veterans about the Veterans Choice Program, the Department of Veterans Affairs has created a Veterans Choice Program Toolkit for Outreach Partners. The full toolkit can be found at: www.va.gov/opa/toolkit.