About Me

  • About Me


    U.S. Representative John R. Carter represents Texas' 31st Congressional District, which includes Williamson and Bell counties.In the 116th Congress, Rep. Carter sits on the Defense Subcomittee on Appropriations and he is the Ranking Member on the Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee on Appropriations. In addition, he serves as Co-Chairman of the bipartisan House Army Caucus and is member of the House Republicans Steering Committee, a leadership position.

    Since his first election in 2002, Congressman Carter has established himself as a leader in Congress who has the foresight and courage to author and support numerous pieces of legislation that would increase the protection of U.S. citizens and bring justice to those who threaten our freedom and way of life.

    Congressman Carter is one of the few House Members who has authored legislation signed into law under Presidents Bush, Obama and Trump. Despite being a veteran Congressman, John Carter is still known as "Judge" for having served over 20 years on the district court bench in Williamson County, which he won as the first county-wide elected Republican in Williamson County in modern history. Before becoming a Judge, Congressman Carter had a successful private law practice and continued to practice law while serving as the Municipal Judge in Round Rock.

    high-res photo link 

    A true Texan at heart, Congressman Carter was born and raised in Houston and has spent his adult life in Central Texas. Carter attended Texas Tech University where he graduated with a degree in History and then graduated from the University of Texas Law School in 1969.Congressman Carter and his wife, Erika, met in Holland and have been happily married since June 15, 1968. Since then, they have built a home and raised a family of four on Christian beliefs and strong Texas Values. Congressman Carter and Mrs. Carter are also proud grandparents to six precious grandchildren.  


    To stay connected with Representative Carter:

Contact John

Enewsletter Signup

Connect with Carter

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) oversees lawful immigration to the United States.  The USCIS website has information on a variety of immigration forms and visas as well as helpful information on immigration laws.  Here are a few of the most common questions my office receives that deal with this agency:

What services does the USCIS offer?

Some of the services offered by USCIS include workers visas, green cards, and citizenship applications.

Find out more about what is offered by USCIS.

If you are looking for information on VISITOR VISAS please visit our State Department webpage.  

If you are looking for information on passports and traveling please visit our Passport and Travel webpage.


When applying for a workers visa what information do I need to be aware of?

Every candidate applying for a workers visa is different.  There are numerous types of applications and many depend of the status and situation of your case. 

  • Employers: when someone is applying to work for your organization you will ALMOST ALWAYS need to file paperwork on their behalf.  Please contact your nearest USCIS office for more information on being an employer for a workers visa candidate.
  • Visa CandidateEvery case is different and it is extremely important that you contact the nearest U.S. Embassy to find out what paperwork and information you need for applying for a workers visa.  


How can I find out the status of my paperwork with the USCIS?

USCIS provides several ways to check the status of paper and/or case work:

  1. Checking the status of your case work online is easy and can be done at anytime.
  2. Any receipt notice you may have received from the USCIS may have an estimated time of how long it will take to process the type of paperwork you filed. You should usually wait until that estimated time has passed before inquiring further. INS officials and my office cannot check on any paperwork that is still within the normal processing time.
  3. If the normal processing time has passed, you may want to contact your local USCIS field or International office.
    1. Field offices are responsible for limited information and customer services that cannot be obtained on their website.  When visiting a field office it is recommended to always make an appointment. 
    2. International Offices are responsible for services to U.S. Citizens, permanent residents of U.S. and certain other persons who are visiting or residing outside the United States who need assistance with immigration matters. 
  4. **Additionally, USCIS staff visits Fort Hood, every 3rd Tuesday of the month from 11 to 2pm to assist soldiers and dependent with immigration issues. No appointments are needed. Please call 254-288-6848 for more information. 

If, however, you have a life or death emergency during the time that involves your USCIS paperwork, please contact my office as soon as possible and we will help you to the best of our abilities.  To comply with federal privacy laws I will need your written permission to help you with your USCIS paperwork.  Please print out my authorization form  and fax it to my office.


I am moving.  How do I notify USCIS of my new address?

If you do not have any pending case work you should file a AR-11 either online or by mail as soon as possible.

If you do have a pending case please visit the USCIS change of address webpage for the information you will need.  


How do I make an appointment with the nearest Field office?

There are two offices near the Texas 31st District and each of them offers different services.  

1. USCIS Satellite office in Austin can help you with forms and guidance 

11301 Lakeline Blvd. Suite 150
Austin Texas 78717

2. USCIS Field office in San Antonio can provide information regarding cases and requires an appointment through Infopass.

8940 Fourwinds Drive
San Antonio, TX 78239


Additional Questions?

Visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website, or

If you would like my help with an USCIS issue, please print out an authorization form for Williamson County or Bell County and fax or mail it to my office.

USCIS Williamson County Privacy Release Form 2020 (02/11/2005:06 PMET )
USCIS Bell County Privacy Release Form 2020 (02/11/2005:05 PMET )

    How to use: Insert <span class="EXACT_VALUE_LABEL_AS_ENTERED_BELOW">&nbsp;</span> where you'd like the value to be populated.

    Non-breaking space within span tags - &nbsp; - is required for WYSIWYG.

    (no spaces or special characters)


    Comments (optional)
    repName John Smith  
    helpWithFedAgencyAddress Haverhill District Office
    1234 S. Courthouse
    Haverhill, CA 35602
    district 21st District of California  
    academyUSCitizenDate July 1, 2012  
    academyAgeDate July 1, 2012  
    academyApplicationDueDate October 20, 2012  
    repStateABBR AZ  
    repDistrict 1  
    repState Arizona  
    repDistrictText 1st  
    SponsoredBills Sponsored Bills  
    CoSponsoredBills Co-Sponsored Bills  
  • Office Locations Push

    Office Name Location Image Map URL
    Washington DC
    2110 Rayburn H.O.B.
    Washington, D.C. 20515
    (202) 225-3864
    Round Rock Office
    1717 North IH 35
    Suite 303
    Round Rock, TX 78664
    (512) 246-1600
    Bell County Office
    6544B S. General Bruce Drive
    Temple, TX 76502
    Located next to the DPS office
    (254) 933-1392