About Me

  • About Me


    U.S. Representative John R. Carter represents Texas' 31st Congressional District, which includes Williamson and Bell counties.In the 116th Congress, Rep. Carter sits on the Defense Subcomittee on Appropriations and he is the Ranking Member on the Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee on Appropriations. In addition, he serves as Co-Chairman of the bipartisan House Army Caucus and is member of the House Republicans Steering Committee, a leadership position.

    Since his first election in 2002, Congressman Carter has established himself as a leader in Congress who has the foresight and courage to author and support numerous pieces of legislation that would increase the protection of U.S. citizens and bring justice to those who threaten our freedom and way of life.

    Congressman Carter is one of the few House Members who has authored legislation signed into law under Presidents Bush, Obama and Trump. Despite being a veteran Congressman, John Carter is still known as "Judge" for having served over 20 years on the district court bench in Williamson County, which he won as the first county-wide elected Republican in Williamson County in modern history. Before becoming a Judge, Congressman Carter had a successful private law practice and continued to practice law while serving as the Municipal Judge in Round Rock.

    high-res photo link 

    A true Texan at heart, Congressman Carter was born and raised in Houston and has spent his adult life in Central Texas. Carter attended Texas Tech University where he graduated with a degree in History and then graduated from the University of Texas Law School in 1969.Congressman Carter and his wife, Erika, met in Holland and have been happily married since June 15, 1968. Since then, they have built a home and raised a family of four on Christian beliefs and strong Texas Values. Congressman Carter and Mrs. Carter are also proud grandparents to six precious grandchildren.  


    To stay connected with Representative Carter:

Contact John

Enewsletter Signup

Connect with Carter

Passport and Travel

Before visiting a foreign country, you should ensure that all your travel concerns are addressed. Here are a few of the most common questions my office receives that deal with passports and travel:


How can I renew my existing passport?

If you already have a passport that is not damaged, was issued in the past 15 years, was received after your 16th birthday, and has your same name, you can apply for a passport renewal by mail.  You can find information on how and where to renew your passport here

If any of this information does not apply to you, you will be required to renew your passport in person.

Find more detailed information


I can't wait for the normal six weeks processing time for my application.  Can my application be expedited?

Yes. For an additional fee, you can request expedite processing which, once recived by CA, normally takes two weeks.

 Find additional information on how you can get your Passport in a Hurry


How can I find out if the country I plan on traveling to is safe?

The Bureau of Consular Affairs provides a lot of helpful information on traveling.  A few things to be aware of for a safe trip abroad include: 

-Travel Warning - A list that shows countries with long-term unsafe conditions.  It is a greater risk to travel to these countries and more precautions are needed.   

-Travel Alerts - are unsafe short-term conditions such as natural disasters or terrorist attacks and should continuously be checked for updates. 

Sign up in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) before you travel to receive up–to-date travel warnings and alerts for the specific country(s) you plan on visiting. 

It is recommended to also look into information about other Safety Issues before you travel abroad.  


I will be traveling abroad this summer with my family. What medical information should my family and I be aware of, including vaccinations we may need?

It is extremely important that you not only receive the required vaccinations but also be aware of all medical conditions within the country of your travels.  Information such as accessible medical facilities, known health problems or diseases, and external conditions are a few of the many things to look into before travel.  Helpful information can be found on the CA Health Issues page.

Additionally, information on country specific required vaccinations can be found on the Center for Disease Control Travel website.  


Will the country I am traveling to have any other entry requirements (i.e. Visas)?

Every country is different.  Countries such as Afghanistan require entry/exit visas while others such as Spain only require visas after a stay of 90 days or more.   You can find detailed information on every country in the world on the Bureau of Consular Country Specific Information page.


I have lost my passport. What can I do?


If you are abroad and have lost your passport you will need to contact the nearest U.S. embassy and speak with the Consular Section before returning to the United States.  Embassy officials will be able to help you with obtaining a travel documents or a temporary passport.  You will need additional verifications and forms to file for a passport replacement.

Find out more about what you can do and need when you lose your passport abroad. 


Additional Questions?

Visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website, or

If you would like my help with a CA issue, please print out an authorization form for Round Rock or Bell County and fax or mail it to my office.

Information on Traveling Visas for entering the United States can be found on our State Department webpage


    How to use: Insert <span class="EXACT_VALUE_LABEL_AS_ENTERED_BELOW">&nbsp;</span> where you'd like the value to be populated.

    Non-breaking space within span tags - &nbsp; - is required for WYSIWYG.

    (no spaces or special characters)


    Comments (optional)
    repName John Smith  
    helpWithFedAgencyAddress Haverhill District Office
    1234 S. Courthouse
    Haverhill, CA 35602
    district 21st District of California  
    academyUSCitizenDate July 1, 2012  
    academyAgeDate July 1, 2012  
    academyApplicationDueDate October 20, 2012  
    repStateABBR AZ  
    repDistrict 1  
    repState Arizona  
    repDistrictText 1st  
    SponsoredBills Sponsored Bills  
    CoSponsoredBills Co-Sponsored Bills  
  • Office Locations Push

    Office Name Location Image Map URL
    Washington DC
    2110 Rayburn H.O.B.
    Washington, D.C. 20515
    (202) 225-3864
    Round Rock Office
    1717 North IH 35
    Suite 303
    Round Rock, TX 78664
    (512) 246-1600
    Bell County Office
    6544B S. General Bruce Drive
    Temple, TX 76502
    Located next to the DPS office
    (254) 933-1392